Kulich is a sweet bread, commonly enjoyed in Russia on Orthodox Easter Sunday. Traditionally, the bread would be displayed in a basket surrounded by colourful, decorated eggs and be blessed by the priest following Easter service.
To bake it, you will need a tall, cylindrical cake tin or an empty can of baked beans is a great alternative! This take on the traditional recipe is the one used by Melanie and Marina from our Operations team and does not include yeast as it would usually, as we know how difficult that is to find right now! Do let us know how you get on if you try it!
400g Tvorog (cottage cheese)
400g Granulated Sugar
400g Plain Flour
3 tsp Baking Powder
1 sachet Vanilla Sugar (or 1-2 tsp vanilla extract)
Raisins or other mixed fruit (optional)
1. Start by greasing your tin and then lining it with greased baking paper. We used butter. Pre-heat your oven to 180C / 350F.
2. Melt the butter and leave to cool.
3. Blend the Tvorog (cottage cheese) until you get a nice smooth consistency. Then add the sugar and continue to blend. We used an electric whisk for this process.
4. Beat the eggs until smooth and combine with the cottage cheese mixture, continuing to whisk together until the mixture becomes fluffy.
5. Now add the cooled melted butter to the mixture and continue to whisk.
6. Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixture in stages and then add the vanilla sugar and combine until the mixture becomes a thick doughy texture.
7. Now add your raisins and/or other desired fruits. If they are dried, we recommend soaking them first for at least 30 minutes in water or cognac to moisten. This will add great flavour once baked too!
8. Pour the mixture into your tall cake tin (or baked beans can) and fill two thirds full, so the mixture has room to rise. We made split the mixture over two cans.
9. Bake for 35-45 minutes in the oven until ready and leave to cool. Now it is time to prepare the iced dressing (see below).
Iced Dressing Ingredients:
1 pack of Gelatin
4 tbsp water
150g Caster Sugar
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Iced Dressing Method:
1. Add the 2 tablespoons of water to the gelatin and leave to soak for approximately 5 minutes.
2. Add the caster sugar, 2 tablespoons of water and lemon juice to a pan and bring to the boil, stirring constantly until the sugar melts.
3. Combine the gelatin and melted sugar mixture into a bowl and whisk together until you get a thick white mixture.
4. Pour over the Kulich, enough to make it drip down the sides and decorate with dried fruits or candy sprinkles.
As you start to plan your next international adventure, we understand that there are new factors to ...Read More »
While we are temporarily unable to operate our Voyages of a Lifetime by Private Train™, we are exc...Read More »
The health and safety of our guests and staff is of paramount importance to us. We are continuously ...Read More »
We recognise the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) situation is extremely unsettling and that you will ...Read More »
In an exciting interview with The Telegraph newspaper, our President and Founder, Tim Littler, tells...Read More »
Please note that Golden Eagle Luxury Trains is currently transferring to a new banking partner.
Golden Eagle's head office is based in the UK. The UK government has instructed all businesses to st...Read More »
Many of the rail cruises we operate require tourist visas to be obtained prior to travel. For each o...Read More »
Undoubtedly the world's greatest railway journey, the Trans-Siberian Railway, connecting Russia's my...Read More »
Have you travelled on one of our recent tours and missed the chance to give feedback on board? Our n...Read More »
As the world’s largest nation takes centre stage to host the FIFA World Cup™, we have put togeth...Read More »
In 2018, India has gained another UNESCO World Heritage Site to add to its collection, bringing the ...Read More »
Plovdiv is the first Bulgarian city to be named the European Capital of Culture. This initiative, or...Read More »
UNESCO’s World Heritage Committee has met in Baku, Azerbaijan, this week to discuss this year’s ...Read More »
We are delighted to announce that the Golden Eagle Danube Express has gained 2nd place in the ‘Top...Read More »